Friday, December 11, 2009
Monday, November 23, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
- Women may wash 2 loads of laundry a day (we provide the detergent, bleach, stain remover and fabric softener sheets) for a quarter total. With the quarters, the woman are paying for their services, and learning to give because all quarters are donated to local charities. All laundry must be started by 1:00 p.m. and is first-come, first-served.
- The River is the only public place where a woman can take a shower in Johnson City during the daytime. We provide towels and travel-sized toiletries for each shower. Showers are first-come, first-served and no showers after 2:30 p.m.
- The River has daily devotions each morning at 9:30 a.m. This is a time of short Bible study and prayer. Each participant can share joys or concerns and each devotion ends with a group prayer. On the first Wednesday of each month, Pastor Louis Imsande of First Presbyterian Church performs devotions and communion is offered. We also have a "God Spot" Prayer Room where women can spend time alone with God.
- The River has a variety of events available each month for our guests. The Joyful Noise River Choir meets every Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. and sings at local churches, events, or nursing homes. Hearts and Hands meets the second and fourth Wednesday from 10-12 and offers the women the opportunity to work on craft projects ranging from flower pins to spiritual journals. The River also holds classes on cooking, sewing, health issues, and independent living skills.
- The second Monday of the month is free haircut day from 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Hair cuts are first-come, first served. We always have hair, nail and skin care products available in the salon area for primping! Everyone wants to look good!
- The River has a community garden that works on the "Little Red Hen" system: if you plant it, you get part of the harvest. We plant vegetables, herbs, and flowers and we also have the Martha Chase Memorial Garden where women can sit amongst the flowers and pray and enjoy nature.
- The River is able to share information about available community services that meet the needs of the women and children we serve. In addition, we provide a phone, a writing center to mail letters, computers, exercise equipment, sewing machines, irons, and an address for those that are homeless.
- Most importantly, The River offers love, support, friendships, and a safe haven for the women we serve.
Share a Helping Hand at The River
1. Time: Be a worker for the Lord serving at The River. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Stacy Larsen at 423-926-111.
2. Donate Money: Make a donation in honor or in memory of a loved one, or in support of The River. Please make checks or Money Orders payable to: The River- First Presbyterian Church and mail it to The River 125 West Main Street, Johnson City, TN 37604. All donations are tax-deductible. Consider The River in your long-term planning.
3. Pray: Please keep The River, our guests, and volunteers in your daily prayers.
4. Donate Items: We always need: Liquid Laundry Detergent, Bleach, Stain Remover, Fabric Softener SHEETS ONLY, Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, Lysol Wipes, Garbage Bags, Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Individually Wrapped Snacks, Spray Deodorant, Liquid Hand Soap, Creamer, Sweetener, Razors, Shaving Cream, and Cleaning Supplies. Items may be brought to The River during hours of Operation.
5. Share a Skill: Do you have a special talent or skill to share with the ladies of The River? Please contact Stacy Larsen at 423-926-8111 to set up a class or event.